Read what's been happening on Salvatore's Horizon

Read what's been happening on Salvatore's Horizon
Jordan Pond, Acadia National Park, Maine Workshops

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Yellowstone: the introspective landscape Part XXI

from the new book on Yellowstone NP-

Chapter 9-Chased by Maidens- ...continued

Now old maid bison are either older cows without calves or cows too young or unable to bear offspring. Their job is to be sentinels on the outlook for sneaky predators. So here I am, crouched low to the ground with a cloth over me not too far from the main herd. I am that sneaky predator! They think I am that wolf or bear stalking their babies and now they are coming after me- diligently!

Quickly, I throw my 4x5 and film into my pack. In the need to maintain a safe distance from them in case they charge and I leave my focusing cloth behind in haste. As I quickly walk from them, I try talking softly to them hoping to turn off their “protect and defend” mode to “it’s just a stupid human” mode, but it’s does not work on this day. These bison are a bit overzealous in their protective duties like many novice cops are on occasions. Now they are not galloping, nor are they trotting after me, which I recognize that they are a bit befuddled with their discovery of me not being a wolf in disguise. I feel their diligent sole purpose is to drive me out of the park perhaps all the way to Bozeman, Montana.

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment