Read what's been happening on Salvatore's Horizon

Read what's been happening on Salvatore's Horizon
Jordan Pond, Acadia National Park, Maine Workshops

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Acadia National Park Photography Workshop

Monument Cove Spire
Two weeks before this year's workshop was to take place I was in a quandary as to hold the workshop or to cancel it because of the Federal Government's closure. Acadia along with every national park and monument, except for those states willing to finance their operations, were close. If I held the workshop on closed parklands, I could risk being fined and prevented from operating future workshops on all National Park Service lands. If someone injured themselves, I could risk losing my insurance coverage because I was not operating in a legal manner as my insurance fine print states. So after speaking to each workshop student for their input and agreement, I or we, decided to cancel it. This was depressing because this year's weather was expected to be one of the best in terms in terms of Autumn Foliage- the trees were to be at their best!

But since my workshop was cancelled, it did not mean that I could not photograph it. Yes, the weather did turn out better than last year's workshop. The skies were clearer and the foliage was at it's peak as last year's peak was several weeks late. The crowds were far less in numbers especially in area's where there are masses of tourists especially photographers. The above image, Monument Cove Spire, is one location where the chances of having people walk into or set up with tripods right in front of your shoot always happens. I found only one photographer, from Georgia, as I entered the cove. He was new to the location so advised him of where the best angle is and asked him to come along with me and shoot next to me- much better then have to wave and yell to him to move out of the way.  I sure hope his image of the Monument turned out as good as this as I'm sure he's glad to had followed me! (Remember to Click on the Images!)




No comments:

Post a Comment